The Birkman Method® combines motivational, behavioral, and interest evaluation into a single assessment, that provides a multi-dimensional and comprehensive analysis, thus reducing the need for multiple assessments. The questionnaire is delivered online and should take about 45 minutes to complete. Dr. Robin uses it for:
• Team building
• Leadership development
• Executive coaching
• Succession Planning
• Career counseling
• Interpersonal conflict resolution
• 360° Assessments/Projects
A key benefit of The Birkman Method® is delineating the gaps between what you do and what you need. It identifies your usual-adaptive behaviors (often a personal strength), your needs, and likely behaviors you exhibit when your needs are not met (stress). It is one of the best ways to gain insight into, and provide non-judgmental language for articulating, negotiating, and taking responsibility for getting your Needs met.
Many assessments describe socialized, visible behavior. The Birkman Method® reaches further to analyze and report what drives and motivates behavior. We call these “Needs” — the expectations one has about relationships and situations in a social context. These Needs motivate personal actions and behaviors. When Needs are met, they drive behavior in positive and productive directions. Unmet needs can create potentially negative and less than productive behavior (Stress).
The Birkman Reports are particularly valuable for actual and aspiring managers in business environments because they are used most often with that population. The full Birkman report can be expensive, and interpreting it without the assistance of a certified Birkman coach can be challenging. But there are a three Birkman reports that are more affordable and accessible even if you are just starting your career explorations: The Birkman Preview, the Profile Summary, and the Birkman-On-Demand report. These affordable Birkman reports can give you valuable insight for your career management.
The Birkman Profile Summary gives your scores for your relational components and needs but must be interpreted by a certified Birkman Coach. The Birkman Preview describes your relational strengths, needs, and stress behaviors plus it gives you a Career Report with active links for occupations suiting your needs.
The Birkman on Demand report is a report in everyday language describing your unique ways of
• Being ineffective (your flaws)
• Being motivated
• Managing and Leading
• Relating to others
• Working with others on teams – trust, conflict, commitment and accountability
The core of the Birkman method includes 11 Relational Components:
• Esteem (How you communicate one-on-one – direct/indirect)
• Acceptance (How do you need acceptance by others expressed?)
• Structure (How much structure do you need in your life?)
• Authority (How do you like authority to be expressed with you and by you?)
• Advantage (How do you like to be rewarded?)
• Activity (How much is best for you?)
• Empathy (How do you need empathy to be expressed for you?)
• Change (How much change/variety do you need in your life on a regular basis?)
• Freedom (How much autonomy do you need?)
• Thought (How much time do you need to think before making decisions?)
• Challenge (How much challenge do you need in life and how do you respond to challenges?)
You can do a Birkman session individually with Dr. Robin.
You can also do a group session on using the Birkman Method. Either way, each and every person receives their personal Birkman on Demand report providing information about their strengths, needs, stress behaviors, management style, leadership preferences, conflict causing-management behaviors, career interests, motivational incentives, and more. Dr. Robin helps participants understand their reports, see how others are both similar to and different from them, and connect their behaviors to their impact-effectiveness in managing themselves and others.
Birkman Method based workshop – Participant comments:
- Dr. Robin’s clear and thorough understanding of the Birkman assessment was both evident and thought provoking.
- The physical portion of the session truly brought the assessment information to “life.” The physical part enhances the explanation and also promotes team bonding
- Loved the examples of application of the component scores to real life
- Liked the opportunity to actually physically see the difference in dynamics of usual vs. needs